Use tracked events to track significant actions in a session, such as purchasing an item or interacting with a specific user-interface (UI) element. When used with segments, funnels, and attribution heatmaps, tracked events can provide deeper insights into user behavior.
You can use different types of tracked events based on the type of action you want to track and whether it leads to completion or generates revenue for your business. You can also assign a value to each tracked event.
Tracked event types
The following tracked event types are available:
Tracks routine interactions on a property.
For example, clicking a button or scrolling to the bottom of a page.
Tracks interactions on a property potentially leading to completion or abandonment.
For example, adding something to a shopping basket or interacting with a chat bot.
Tracks interactions on a property where the visitor performs the purpose of the website or app and reaches completion.
Any action that generates revenue, such as clicking the payment button or reaching the payment confirmation page, is conversion. However, not all conversion generates revenue, such as submitting a form.
Note: All detected conversion contributes to the conversion rate. For more information, see Conversion and Conversion Rate.
Adding a tracked event
- On the navigation bar, go to Define > Tracked Events > + Create.
The following settings appear:
- In the Name box, enter a name to identify the tracked event in Decibel.
- If necessary, in the Description box, enter a description about the tracked event.
- In the Event, Goals or Conversion dropdown menu, select the tracked event type to use.
Note: For a description of each tracked event type and the actions they track, see Tracked event types.
- In the Integration method dropdown menu, select how to implement the tracked event on the property. The following options are available:
Note: For more information on each integration method, including adding rules to implement tracked events, see Tracked Event Integration Methods.
- Click Save Tracked Event.
The tracked event is saved.
Tracked Events Settings
To go to Tracked Events Settings, on the navigation bar, go to Define > Tracked Events > View.
The following columns are available on the table in Tracked Events Settings:
|Name||Tracked event name|
|Id||Tracked event ID|
|Created by||Decibel user who created the tracked event|
Date the tracked event was last triggered
The following buttons are available:
Viewing tracked events triggered in a session
- From the navigation bar, go to Analyze > Sessions > Analyze.
Analyze Sessions appears.
- In Analyze Sessions, in the Actions column, click the Show details button for the session with the tracked event you want to view.
Session Details appears.
- In Session Details, click the Tracked Events tab.
A table appears listing the tracked events triggered on the session.
Note: To go directly to the point of the session replay where the tracked event was triggered, in the Actions column, click View in Session.