Integrate Decibel with Adobe Analytics to use segments created in Adobe Analytics in Decibel the same way as segments created in Decibel. This allows you to apply Adobe Analytics segments to filters in reports and access session replays directly from Adobe Analytics.
Before connecting Decibel with Adobe Analytics, ensure you have the following in your Adobe Analytics account:
- An available Custom Insight Conversion Variable (eVar)
- A technical user account (Web Service access) with the following permissions:
Note: For more information on managing product permissions, see Manage product permissions in the Admin Console in the Adobe enterprise and teams admin guide.
Setup in Adobe Analytics
Integration with Adobe Analytics requires an available eVar. This eVar will then be populated with the Session ID from each Session.
After provisioning an eVar, you must create a technical user account with Web Service access in the Adobe Enterprise Dashboard. Decibel recommends using a dedicated technical user account instead of a named user account to avoid any interruptions with your integration. However, you can use a named user with the correct permissions if accounts are limited.
Creating the eVar
- In Adobe Analytics, go to Admin > All Report Suites > Edit Settings > Conversion > Conversion Variables.
- Create the eVar.
Your eVar configurations should appear as displayed in the image below:
Populating the eVar with the Session ID
For the integration to come together, you will need to populate the eVar with the Decibel Session ID. There are several ways in which this can be done, which are determined by the chosen Request Type in Decibel.
The Default request type provides a convenient mechanism that requires no additional work. Decibel will automatically make an additional beacon during a session call using s.tl() method to send the Session ID. For customers who are limited in the number of beacon calls they can make, or who depend on the default bounce rate metric from Adobe Analytics, you may consider using the Manual approach outlined below.
The Manual request type allows for maximum control over how the eVar is populated. You will need to ensure that you implement the population of the eVar via your tag manager in order to ensure that the data connection is fully activated. Below are some common examples of how this can be achieved.
The easiest way to activate the population of the eVar is to use Adobe Experience Platform Launch.
Locating the API access information
- In the Adobe Analytics top menu, click Admin and then Analytics Users & Assets.
- Locate the account you want to integrate with Decibel. You must ensure that they have Web Service access. Once you have identified the account from the list, click on their name.
- Scroll down to the Web Service Credentials. Take note of the User Name and Shared Secret as they will be needed for setup in Decibel.
Setup in Decibel
- In the Decibel portal, go to Connect > Configure Data Connectors > Analytics > Adobe Analytics.
- Select Adobe Analytics Integration Enabled.
- Enter the Username and shared Secret of the account being used to integrate.
- Click Check details to validate that the Username and Secret are correct.
Having verified the Username and Secret credentials, Decibel will initiate a request to the Adobe Analytics API and retrieve a list of Report Suite’s and eVar’s.
- Select the desired Report Suite and eVar for the data connection.
- If you use many segments in your Adobe Analytics instance, Decibel recommends selecting Hide Segments by Default to hide all Adobe Analytics segments in Decibel and then manually showing the segments that you need.
Note: For more information on hiding and showing segments, see Hide/Show Adobe Analytics and Google Analytics Segments.
You will also be presented with some additional settings, as outlined below.
|API Version||Decibel uses the Adobe Analytics RESTful API version 1.4 by default.|
|Request Type||There are several ways in which customers can populate an eVar as discussed above in "Populating the eVar with the Session ID".|
|Use Shared Segments||Required, especially if using a technical user account to ensure that Segments created by other users in Adobe Analytics, or that have been shared with the Report Suite, are available in Decibel.|
|Hide Segments by Default||
This option hides all imported Segments from Adobe Analytics in Decibel until they are enabled. This reduces the processing overhead on accounts with many existing segments in Adobe Analytics.
Note: For more information, see Hide/Show Adobe Analytics and Google Analytics Segments.
|Tracked Domains||This setting can be used if you have multiple domains under the property that you are configuring the implementation for. You can select which of these domains to enable or disable for the data connection.|
|Force Segment Data Fetch||
Force Decibel to fetch the Segment data.
Note: The time it takes for this to complete will depend on the total number of Segments enabled and how quickly Adobe Analytics can fulfil the export requests.
Click Save to enable the integration.
The data connection setup page will now show you the current status of the data connection and the Segment data being collected.
Access Session replays in Adobe Analytics
To view Decibel Session replays in Adobe Analytics, simply create a report that includes the Decibel eVar. You will need to have the Decibel Heatmap Extension installed and ensure you are logged into Decibel in another tab. Then, in Adobe Analytics, all Session IDs will become links to the Session replays, as shown in the image below:
See below for further information regarding using Adobe Analytics Segments: